Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Dog Days of Summer

5/16/10
Location:  Delhi, India

I took my last step on the stairs leading down from the Cathay Pacific plane from Cairns onto the ground by the Delhi airport and the heat hit me like a brick wall. Suddenly, it was slightly more difficult to breathe and within minutes I had a thin layer of sweat on my skin, undoubtedly working overtime to adapt to the sudden change from the coolness of the plane to the sauna I just walked in. India is sizzling hot, and that was the first thing I learned. It’s like you’re in oven, even when the sky is dark, heat radiates from the ground and enwraps you like a vicious, roasting snake. It’s impossible to stay cool and not sweat even while remaining still. It’s a heat unlike anything I’ve ever experienced, and with the week’s highs above 110 degrees Fahrenheit, it appears as though my Scandinavian self who has lived through 20 ND/MN winters and whose parents keep their house at a cool 62-65 degrees better get used to it.

The next thing I saw in India came after I had cleared customs and was standing outside with the group waiting for our bus transfer to our hotel in Delhi. A pack of wild dogs were roaming the area outside of the airport, cautiously approaching the exiting pilots and scouring the parking lot for anything to eat. They were the skinniest dogs I’ve ever seen in my life. I thought of my own dog, Rex, at home who my family jokingly refers to as our “sweet 80.6 pound baby Rexus” (Talladega Nights reference), and they looked absolutely nothing like him. They barely looked like dogs. Their stomachs were concave and I could see their ribs and their bones in their legs. They looked like a dog/bird hybrid they were so scrawny. They were also incredibly dirty and I could only guess where they have been. They didn’t beg, or even make much noise. One laid down several feet away from our group and just lay there, panting in the heat and its eyes searching for something good. My heart ached just looking at him,

Our bus soon arrived and we loaded our bags and boarded. The drive to the hotel was dark, but I still saw everything. I saw so many people, still up and walking the sides of the streets. I saw tents and huts that were homes, and many people lying on the sidewalks with no home in sight. I saw garbage everywhere; the only thing that outnumbered the strewn paper, cans, and plastic was the dirt and dust that gently rise and fell with the slight breeze that didn’t do anything to break the heat. I didn’t really know what to expect from India. I knew I would see poverty and I knew its culture is very different from my own. I wasn’t prepared for the extent and spread of the poverty. Now I know that India is estimated to have one-third of the world’s poor and 42 percent of its people (456 million) fall below the international poverty line of $1.25 per day, which is actually reduced from 90 percent in 1980. And I completely believe those numbers after seeing the amount of poverty I saw in just one drive that took about a half hour.
There are images that will never leave you. I will never forget my shock and alarm at the slums I saw, and the people whose eyes I watched from the shelter of my air-conditioned bus. In a previous entry, I said that you could never really know a place until you’ve been there, because pictures and moving images don’t allow you to feel it or to really grasp your surroundings. The same holds true for issues like poverty in India, I think. You can read the statistics, you can listen to the news and you can technically know that it is true. But until you’re there, until you’re riding in the streets and you see their bicycles that look like they can barely function, you see their shelters that look like they can barely shield them from the elements, you see their eyes that look just as distraught and hungry as the gaunt dogs by the airport, you never truly know.
All of the below photos were taken on the bus the next morning in Dehli.












3 comments:

Marcy Paulson said...

Oh, good. I've been waiting for these updates. Glad you found some time and internet to post them. Loved reading about the things you'd learned at the halfway mark and about Hong Kong. I had no real knowledge base of Hong Kong, but even your one day outing filled me in on a number of things. When you said in your text message that the poverty in India was staggering, I thought of our trip to San Diego and across the border to Mexico a few years ago. Your dad and I felt if you kids saw some of the poverty in Tijuania, it would open your eyes to what others do NOT have, help make you more appreciative of what you DO have, and develop more empathy and a service-oriented frame of mind and heart. I'm sure I have no concrete grasp of the extent of poverty in India, but your writing definitely shows and gains compassion from me. Please be careful, use lots of sunscreen, and stay hydrated! Love & Kisses from your Mom, Dad, Rob, Rex & GrandPa & GrandMa Buchholz in Langdon, ND, where today it is a balmy 76 degrees, with 25 percent humidity, and the wind is blowing at 22 mph and gusting to 30 mph at times

Kay Schneider said...

Thanks Marisa, for sharing your photos and your blog. I almost feel like I am traveling with you as I read the wonderful, detailed accounts of your journey. I am intrigued by the insights that you share in your reflections on your learning (particularly your mid-trip reflections) and look forward to reading your updates. Thanks for providing such detailed descriptions of your adventures with trying new things like scuba and being a bird. :-)

Have a great day.

Anonymous said...

The way you described stepping off the plane was so dead on to how it felt for me. The heat (and the stench) hit so hard. You described it so well and it took me right back there!

Post a Comment